Our society is hooked on social media. I know I am guilty of using it myself. It is a convenient and easy way to check in on friends and family when you have some spare time to fill. The question is do we use it and forget to spend that spare time with God. We are so curious to see what everyone is up to that we forget that God wants us to check in on Him from time to time also. We must all make sure that we are not so involved in the world that we loose site on what really matters. When I started to compare social media to The Bible and all of the excuses used to avoid reading the Bible I started to see why social media is so popular. Social media is not evil, but it can be a tool of satan to distract you from God and lead you down a dark path.
- You can say anything that you want and not care how others will feel.
- People will believe everything posted as truth with no question.
- Easy to check in to your sites to see what others are up to.
- Can read facebook posts, tweets, snap chats etc no matter where you are or what you are doing even if it puts their life in danger.
Now lets look at some excuses used to avoid reading the Bible…….
- Avoid mentioning it to keep from offending someone
- Question every word written in it
- Never have time to read the Bible
- Will not read the Bible to save their life
Jesus gave his life for us so why can’t we give our time for him.
I have challenged myself and now I also challenge you. Each time you pick up your phone, tablet or computer to check your social media accounts first read one verse from the Bible. It doesn’t have to be much. If you check facebook 4 times a day read 4 Bible verses. Give God the same attention you give others. You will find that God has more to offer you than anything you may see on social media. God is your friend. Do not unfriend or unfollow Him. You may never get Him back.
But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.